Pregnancy is one of the most exciting things a woman can experience during her lifetime. I remember when I first found out I was pregnant. My husband and I had been trying, but not too seriously, and I took a test when I realized I was two weeks late. As silly as it sounds, we were both shocked when it came back positive.
That feeling passed quickly as we began to tour the baby aisles at Wal-Mart, Target and Babies R’ Us. We couldn’t help but look through the racks of baby girl dresses, little boy suits, onesies, tiny shoes, socks and other types of baby clothing. The weeks seemed to drag on forever while we waited for the 20 week ultrasound that would reveal if we were having a boy or a girl.
You may be just as anxious as we were waiting to find out the sex of your unborn baby. Below are a few fun tips for how you can determine the sex of your baby before the ultrasound. Keep in mind these mini-tests are just for fun and may or may not correctly predict your baby’s sex.
1. Food Cravings – As you probably already know, craving various foods is part of pregnancy. It has been said that if you crave primarily salty and/or sour foods then it’s a boy. However, if you’re craving a lot of sweets, then a little girl may be on the way instead!
2. The Drano Test – This is an easy test you can conduct at home in about 5 minutes. All you need is a glass and 1 tablespoon of Drano. Take the glass to the restroom and relieve yourself in it. Next, mix 1 tablespoon of Drano in with the urine. If the Drano is blue then it’s a boy, but if it turns green it’s a girl.
3. Ancient Mayan Test – Think back to your age when you conceived. Is it an even or odd number? Next, what year did you conceive in? Was it an even or odd number? According to this ancient test, if both numbers were even or odd the baby will be a girl. But, if one number is even and the other odd, the baby will most likely be a boy.
4. Break Outs – This is an old wives tale that claims that baby girls “steal” their mamas’ beauty. Therefore, if you’re having some major break out issues, you must be carrying a little girl.
5. The Pencil Test – Take a sharpened pencil and stick a paper clip through the eraser, then hook the paper clip to a rubber band. Have someone hold the contraption over your wrist (hold your hand out palm-side up). If the pencil starts moving in a straight line, it’s a boy but if it goes in circles then it’s a girl. Keep in mind, that this test will tell you the sex of all the kids you’ve had – in the order you’ve had them. So, if this isn’t your first pregnancy, you will have to wait until it tells you the sex of your previous child(ren) before it reveals the sex of your current baby.